I wake. I have a huge amount of information in my head and I can't get back to sleep.
It runs over and over and over. I find myself imagining conversations with people, thinking of people that have passed away, situations that did not come out the way I wanted them to, and then there is the information. The ideas. Trotting through my head. Some really amazing pieces of jewellery I could make. Some articles that would be good. Some jobs I need to do tomorrow. The amazing money spinner idea that could pay all the bills and make me a millionaire.
I toss, turn, stress out. And wake in the morning, knackered.
The millionaire idea? Gone. Jewellery? Gone. Article? Gone.
The feeling like I have had a herd of creatures passing through my head in search of a waterhole... 100% present. Argh.
I plod on with my day. Remembering at some stage that I saw my grandfather and he told me I would 'see' many things.
The millionaire idea? Still gone. Bugger. I rehydrate. (And do it all again the following night)
Other key factors in restlessness/early waking can include:
- Busy energy in pillows - a stressed head leaves stressed energy and then comes back to it again the next night
- Stress (meditate or using breathing exercises helps to relieve this and avoid sugars)
- Synthetic fabrics close to the skin. Pure cotton is better than polycotton or polyester.
- Believe it or not, a really busy pattern on your duvet can make a difference if you are highly sensitive. Try white or pale, no pattern as a test. In order to avoid spending money, to test this, you could simply safety pin two light coloured sheets either side of your duvet inner. I don't sleep well under a busy pattern - esp. not one with lots of angles on it, but under pale blue - I sleep like a log.
- Your body clock may just have a rousing time - this can get set very easily. Hence the reason why many people wake moments before their alarms go off. So don't get 'fixed' on the idea that you 'always' wake at 3am - you could also be creating or perpetuating it, by setting it with your thought/body.
- Spiritually - your guides are also able to finally get to you then. The world is quieter, life has slowed down, it's a classic time, 3am, 4am - early morning is a wonderful time for meditation, prayer and sacred things. If you believe in God - he is knocking on the door. Many people all over the world follow a faith at that time of the day. The silence really is golden. However if you need the sleep - you probably don't need Poppa (or God) to show up then. Say a prayer if thats your thing, have the 'thoughts' or memories, then say thank you and just think of yourself, settling, curling back down and floating off to sleep.
Things that can help promote sleep are:
- A gentle night ritual - (sorry) no electrical activity for an hour before you sleep. Electrical activity is busyness, and busyness is stress.
- Lavender or Rose can both be useful. (Any aromatherapy products should be careful checked to make sure they are safe if you are pregnant.)
- Counting sheep is a great idea, but maybe you could soup it up a bit and think of your bed as your personal garden. What do you need to weed out in order for the garden to flourish?
Imagine 'weeding' each worry out of the garden by sending it out the gate. You can pick it up if you want it when you leave your 'garden' in the morning.
- Sodalite is a crystal that helps to ease mind chatter and promotes peaceful sleep. There is a separate blog story about it here.
- Write, write and write, whatever it is that's in your head, write it down, and if you wake up in the night write it down - even if you don't have the light switched on. An A4 piece of paper and a pencil can be sleep savers. Downloading a busy head is so crucial.
Then after you have done your writing - if you say 'ok, I'm finished now' - you will very likely get the restful sleep you were hoping for.
In extreme circumstances, say night terrors, for example, a house clearing or past life clearing may be required. While this might seem a bit weird, I can assure you it has been very beneficial to many people. House clearing often has many unexpected benefits, not limited to better sleep - it can often help relationships between partners or children, can sometimes help the house to be warmer, and life can just feel lighter. Commonly my audience members go home after a healing show and sleep like a log. Why? Because often the stress they were carrying has been cleared, and because it's energy work and it travels over distance - their pillow has cleared too.
Possibilities are endless once we take a look.
Private sessions - Speaking - Events
ph + 64 (0) 21 726 276
Auckland. New Zealand. Global.
- previous blog post Sleep Series: Banishing the BogeyMan
- related post - Sleep Series: Sodalite